Skip to content

14 miles!

August 2, 2009

Somehow I managed to drag myself out of bed this morning at 4:30am to hopefully finish before the Florida sun came beating down on me. Ironically, when I first started running I remember saying to myself that I would never be one of “those runners” who got up at o’dark hundred to go for a run. Ha! I made it out of the house by 5:30am after stretching, packing my Camelbak and eating a wasa cracker with 1 tbs. almond butter, 1 tbs. apple butter and half of a banana.

Before I left the house I checked and saw that it was 78 degrees with 93% humidity – at 5:30am!!! Holy goodness was it hot out there! I was dripping with sweat before I even ran my first mile. Unfortunately the blister on my heel hadn’t completely healed so even with the Band-Aid blister ampoule, copious amounts of Body Glide, and moleskin it was still really painful. I would run a few steps and mess with my shoe, tighten the laces, loosen the laces, adjust and then finally I settled with having a looser shoe because it felt a bit better than having it tight with my heel right next to the back of the shoe.

I decided to go around the loop in my neighborhood twice, run to the front and then do it again so I could get more than two miles down before I went out on the road for the remaining miles. When I ran past my house I seriously thought I may run in and try another pair of shoes thinking that the rubbing would stop, however since the only other shoes that would be a possibility were my New Balance shoes and I was worried that I would end up hurting my ankle because those shoes don’t correct my pronation. I passed the house and decided to “embrace the suck” and move on. I took my first GU at mile 3.5 and felt immediately better and stronger.

I was so happy to see that when I reached my normal three mile point I was already at FIVE miles. Yea for running so much in my neighborhood (which was hard to do because I normally only get one mile in there – so I felt behind when I left it) and knocking out the miles. Eventually I decided to take a pit stop at McDonalds to use the rest room and spash some water on my face. It was so nice and cold in there than I seriously could have sat in there for a while.

When I hit 7 miles I started to notice that my knees, thighs and booty were really starting to hurt. My pace really slowed and while I was really happy to be halfway there – but still going another 7 miles was really a mind thing. I took my second GU at 7.5 and stretched out a bit.

When I finally got to mile 10 I was so happy, but still thinking that 4 miles was still pretty far. Luckily I was near Publix so I went in there to wash my face and enjoy the A/C for a bit. I sent Carl a text letting him know that I was okay, but struggling a bit, since I knew that it was taking me longer than it did last week (and longer than I thought it would) because of all of my stops. At this point the sun was shining so I had to look for shady places to run and found a little neighborhood to run in to get me to mile 11, where I ate two PowerBar gel blasts (yuck!) and downed my third and final GU to make it to the end. I must admit that when I hit 13.1 I smiled, knowing that I went half the distance of the marathon 🙂

Even though it was only two miles longer than my run last week it was much more difficult. I really struggled with this run and while I didn’t give up and walk for an extended period of time I didn’t feel very strong and was running incredibly slow. I kept repeating my mantra, the more you run the faster you’ll be done, to get through. I also thought about a magnet quote that one of my friends gave me for my birthday, “What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?” – LOVE IT!

It was so hot by this point that I took my shirt off on my walk home. Not something that I usually do, but I just really didn’t care! When I got home Carl was organizing the garage since he just bought new shelving to organize everything in there. It was so nice to see him! He came inside with me and helped stretch my legs out.

14 baby!

He ran a bath for me a little while before I got home and once I was done stretching he dumped in some ice and talked with me to keep my mind off of the cold.

While I took a shower he cooked breakfast – canadian bacon pancakes with the Hodgson Mill pancake mix. So good! I wanted something a little more so he also cooked up some scrambled eggs with a slice of cheese, onions and peppers. Yum!

I promise the pancakes are small – haha!

After I ate I went back upstairs and took a three hour nap! I felt so much better and my legs aren’t nearly as sore as they were earlier or last week. I thought I bought a pair of Under Armour compression pants at Dicks Sporting Goods, but when I went to look for them online I really think I ended up with a pair of tights, lol! I didn’t think they were tight enough to be compression, but the tighter pants still helps with the muscles – at least I think! I do want to look into another pair, but perhaps I’ll look online first 🙂

Since I was pretty hungry after my nap Carl made me a Green Monster. It’s been a while since I’d had one and it was so good! The Green Monster contained:

  • 2 handfuls of spinach
  • 1 c. Oat milk
  • frozen peaches
  • 1/2 c. ranier cherries
  • banana
For dinner Carl used some of our left over black beans to make black bean pattys. I put them over spinach and had Wholly Guacamole, salsa and a few baked kettle chips on the side. I ate an unpictured plum while I was waiting for dinner to be finished.

I was feeling pretty hungry still so I made a bowl of puffed brown rice, oat milk, fresh blueberries, 5 almonds and a few raisins. I ate it downstairs and didn’t want to go upstairs to get the camera.

A little while later Carl made dessert (he was a cooking fool and loves to take care of me after my long runs) that was soooo good! He used a left over waffle from yesterday’s breakfast and sauteed some frozen blueberries, a frozen peach, brown sugar and fresh squeezed orange juice and poured it over the waffle. Then he added half of a banana, strawberries, fresh blue berries and fluff. Yum!

Even Bradley wanted some!

Whew! That was long! I hope you all had a great weekend!

6 Comments leave one →
  1. Brandy permalink
    August 2, 2009 9:29 pm

    You rock!! I'm so proud of you!!!

  2. skinnysweetpea permalink
    August 2, 2009 9:30 pm

    Look at how tiny your waist is! You are amazing doing 14 miles!!! Great job!!!

  3. Emily permalink
    August 2, 2009 9:40 pm

    Congrats on the 14 miles! I'll bet you're stoked!

  4. Croughwell permalink
    August 2, 2009 11:08 pm

    Good job on your run!! Keep it up!

  5. WhatIsSharonDoingNow permalink
    August 2, 2009 11:24 pm

    That dessert looks delicious. Last week after my long run I was so hungry I ate every 1-2 hours for the rest of the day and then I woke up at 2:30 in the morning hungry! After waking up a few more times I got out of bed at 6 and made some oatmeal.

    Congrats and hope you sleep through the night!

  6. August 3, 2009 2:43 am

    brilliant post; just came across your blog (it's now on my reader list 🙂 ) am so impressed you're running half maras for training!!! and that i'm not the only person in the world who eats half a banana 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: