Skip to content

Last marathon training long run!

October 11, 2009

I can’t believe that in one week from today I’ll be running in the Nike Women’s Marathon!  Woo Hoo!

After spending a little while adding new songs to my running mix last night I was totally pumped for my last marathon training long run – until my alarm went off this morning.  I wanted to get out before the sun rose, but I was so tired that I didn’t get out of the house until 7:30!  Although I only had six miles scheduled I knew that I’d be a hot, sweaty mess once I returned – and I sure was!  I made sure to put on everything that I planned on using for the marathon, including the new Zensah arm sleeves that I ordered and received last week.  I was a bit hesitant to try them out since it’s super hot, but I figured that I really needed to know if they would chafe me or not before I run with them in the marathon.  So there I was in all of my glory – Camelbak, SPIbelt, Zensah arm sleeves, iPod, Garmin – ready to take on the world!

I had half of a banana before heading out the door


I always start with a short warm-up walk before my runs and today started out like any other day, except that I noticed that my beloved SPIbelt started sliding up on my hips.  Apparently the pants that I plan on running the marathon in are “slippier” than the ones that I tried it out with the other night.  No amount of tightening would keep it in place and I knew that I wouldn’t be able to handle pulling it down the entire six miles so after the first mile I took it off, stored it in my Camelbak (who knew it could hold so much stuff!), and put my phone in the little Fuel Belt pouch that I normally keep my GUs in.  I felt so much better after taking the belt off, so it looks like I’m going to have to buy another pouch and find somewhere to attach it on my Camelbak.  I’m really bummed about this, but I’m glad that I found out now and not next Sunday!

A few minutes later I noticed that my Garmin was beeping at me and when I looked down it said that my laps were getting full and it wouldn’t be able to hold any more data.  Yikes!  I got a little bit flustered trying to delete old stuff and ended up ending the current workout that I had programed in there.  Luckily I knew I had gone a little over a mile so it wasn’t a big deal, but I still couldn’t figure out how to delete the old stuff entirely so I just deleted a few of the previous runs.  Apparently it still wasn’t enough so when I went a mile further I had to stop the workout and delete more – and then I figured out how to delete everything so I deleted all of my runs except for the last month.  What a pain, but again I was glad that it happened today and not next Sunday!

Eventually I made it three miles down the road and could turn around.  By this point I was super hot, sweaty and had a cramp in my side that would only go away while I was walking.  I was so over the run that I went into McDonalds to use the restroom and splash some cold water on my face.  Once I came out I decided that I was going to try out dropping my interval time by 30 seconds and use a 2:00 run/1:00 walk since I’ve been struggling with 2:30/1:00 since I started carrying my Camelbak last week.  I started my Garmin over again with the new interval and felt much better!  I was also out of water, which wasn’t so great since I still had to go back three miles, but it also made the load on my back quite a bit lighter.  As crappy as the first three miles of my run were today, the last three totally rocked. I am really glad that I decided to drop my running time because I felt so much better and was able to actually increase my pace and finish strong.

I also kept the Zensah arm sleeves on the entire time!  I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to keep them on because I was afraid that I’d be to hot, but it was already so warm and humid out that I didn’t think that they made much of a difference.  Actually, I think they helped me stay a little bit cooler because they wicked the sweat away from my skin instead of it just sitting there like it normally does.  I love them and think that they will be awesome for the marathon.  I am a little nervous about chafing, though, because they literally go all the way up my arm because my arms are pretty short.  I just have to make sure to apply copious amounts of body glide before I run and they should be fine.


After I stretched I made myself a glass of soy milk with a scoop of Muscle Milk to tide me over while I took a shower.  I love this stuff!


For breakfast I decided to use up the last of the eggs that we had and made a four egg and cheese sandwich…and I ate it all!  I swear I must have been a bottomless pit or had a hollow toe or something because I don’t know how I finished it.  I had some Pumpkin Spice coffee too.


The rest of the day will be pretty uneventful: Whole Foods for dog food, 1st Place Sports for another Fuel Belt pouch for my camera, and lots of laundry and papers to grade.  A nap is totally calling my name, too!

Distance – 6 miles

1st lap -deleted

2nd lap :
– 1.03 miles
Time –
Pace –
13:14’/mi (2:30 run/1:00 walk)

3rd lap:
– 1.01 miles
Time –
Pace – 13:01’/mi (2:30 run/1:00 walk)

4th lap:
Distance –
3 miles
Time –
Pace –
12:42’/mi (2 run/1 walk)
Best pace –

2 Comments leave one →
  1. October 11, 2009 1:57 pm

    Nice job!


  1. Git R Done! « From 5k to Marathon

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: