Skip to content

2009 Nike Women’s Marathon Trip – Day Three

October 22, 2009

Saturday 10.17.09

We slept a little bit later than the day before, which I think we were all grateful for.  Once we were up and moving I sent Sharon a text message to see what she was up to since her flight had arrived late the night before.  She was awake (amazingly!) and came over to our room, which was only one door away, to chat and tell us about her flight and shuttle ride over.  It was so good to see her again, since the last time we saw each other was at my wedding nearly two years ago!  As we slowly got ready, Rachel found a place for breakfast and Sharon headed back to her room to get herself ready.

Eventually we left our room and headed out to a great sounding breakfast place near our hotel in the financial district…except everything was closed since it was Saturday!  After we tried to find the two places we’d found online, we were out of ideas so Sharon asked a woman who was walking by for a recommendation and she suggested the Ferry Building Marketplace (Pier 1).  While I loved seeing so many sights in San Francisco, I think that the Ferry Building was my favorite of all!  I think it’s because we just don’t have places like this in Florida (at least where I’ve lived and been!) and it was amazing to see so much fresh produce, beautiful flowers and people buying such amazing stuff.

By the time that we got there we were STARVING so we found a little shop that sold breakfast sandwiches and snatched them up!  

We love breakfast sandwiches!

We love breakfast sandwiches!

Then we stood in the longest line for the most amazing coffee that I’ve ever had at Blue Bottle Coffee Co. It was prepared by the “filter drip” method, which I’d never seen before.  Delish!

Most amazing coffee EVER!

Most amazing coffee EVER!

Eventually we made it through the line and we found seats to enjoy our wonderful breakfast.


While we were in line waiting for our coffee Hilary found this cute little shop that sold amazing Greek yogurt with honey and granola.  After a bite I wanted one of my own and it did not disappoint!


After we finished eating, we went around the back of the Marketplace and saw all of the food vendors there.  I just loved seeing everything and I’m sure took way too many pictures of fruit and veggies.

IMG_3582 IMG_3583

IMG_3584 IMG_3585

While we were walking I was talking to Sharon and was so into our conversation that I didn’t notice that we were on the sidewalk and not the road and I stumbled off and rolled my left ankle!  I have been so worried that I would so something like this to myself right before the marathon that would make me unable to do it that I couldn’t believe it! I rotated my ankle a bit and figured that everything was okay so I just thanked my lucky stars that I didn’t manage to hurt myself.

We continued to walk around outside until we reached the other end of the marketplace and went in.  I swear there are so many neat little shops and I was completely surprised to find one that there was one that was called Far West Fungi and had nothing but mushrooms!



Sharon sampling some fungi

Sharon sampling some fungi

Eventually I had to go to the bathroom and luckily I found out that there was one on the second floor (and I’d totally recommend it because the line was MUCH shorter) and snapped this picture.


When I was finished I called the girls to see where they were and they found out there were arts and crafts set up across the street.  After seeing everything there we decided to carry on with our sight-seeing for the day and go to Coit Tower. We went back and forth between how we would get there, so we snapped some pictures and then we saw this cute yellow bus.

Sharon and me

Sharon and me


Kristin and Hilary


Rachel and Kristin

Eventually we decided to take a cab to the Tower and I swear our driver made it his mission to see how car-sick he could make us!  I was so thankful that I still had the Dramamine in my system from our flight on Thursday morning because it could have been bad.  I must admit that the view from the base of the Tower made it worth it.

View from the base of Coit Tower

View from the base of Coit Tower



The views were beautiful, but I have to admit that I was a little disappointed by the Tower itself.  There are supposed to be beautiful murals inside, and while they were lovely, they just weren’t what I expected.  We decided to go up to the top of the tower so we went through a cheesy gift shop to buy a $5 ticket and rode a rickity elevator up to the top  of the Tower – and the view was pretty spectacular.  You could see nearly the entire city, including our hotel!


After we got back to the base of the tower we headed out to the next stop on our sight-seeing adventure – Trader Joe’s!

Trader Joe's!

Trader Joe's!

We needed to get some food for breakfast before the race and I was so excited to go there after hearing so many wonderful things about it.  When we got there I loved it and thought it was a lot like Fresh Market.  I think my favorite part was finding pumpkin pancake and waffle mix!  I can’t wait to eat it this weekend.  Yum!

Pumpkin waffle and pancake mix!

Pumpkin waffle and pancake mix!

We finished up at Trader Joe’s and hiked up the rest of the mountain hill to  “the crookedest street” – Lombard street. I swear by the time we got to the base of the street from TJs we were all a hot, sweaty mess and I was totally sweating like a man!


At the bottom of Lombard Street

Halfway up Lombard Street

Kristin, Rachel and me at the midway point

At the top of Lombard Street.  Yeah, at some point we were all the way at the bottom!

At the top of Lombard Street. Yeah, at some point we were all the way at the bottom!

Once we got to the top we took a trolley (of course we wouldn’t walk DOWN!) to Union Square so Sharon could pick up her packet from the Expotique and we could meet up with her friend Suz.



Suz’s friend Holly was in town to cheer her on since she was also running the full marathon and had been training with the Nike Run Club.  So cool!  At this point the Expotique and Niketown were totally packed and most of the marathon clothing had been totally picked over – leaving mostly smalls and mediums since the stuff was running small and most people had to go up a size.  I will say that even as busy as it was, Sharon still didn’t have to wait very long to pick up her race packet.


If you are looking to really enjoy the Expotique and Niketown I would definitely suggest getting there on Thursday/early Friday.

Since Suz was hosting dinner at her apartment that evening, she and Holly went to get groceries and Sharon and I went to meet back up with the girls who went shopping down the street. We realized we were STARVING since it was nearly 4pm and we hadn’t eaten lunch yet!  We stopped into Blondie’s pizza for a slice and we were all pleasantly surprised at how good it was!  I was so hungry that I ate nearly half of my pizza before Sharon reminded me that I need to take a picture of it.

No, that's not a bug on my pizza

No, that's not a bug on my pizza

When we finally made it back to our hotel room we had about 45 minutes to relax and change before taking a taxi to Suz’s apartment.  Suz’s apartment was super cute and we had a great dinner with wonderful conversation and super yummy food – pasta and bread! IMG_3635

Holly showed us the sign she made for Suz – so cute!

Holly's sign for Suz

Holly's sign for Suz

Sharon, Rachel, Hilary, Kristin, me and Suz

Sharon, Rachel, Hilary, Kristin, me and Suz

Around 8pm we were feeling exhausted and anxious for the race the next morning so Suz drove us home.  I go tto work making sure I had everything in my Camelbak (extra G2 packet, Biofreeze packet, hand sanitizer packet, ID, cell phone, debit card, extra GU packets) and the two Fuel Belt pouches that I attached to the front strap (camera and medal from the 7th grade in one pouch and accessable GU packets in the other).  I also got my Camelbak bladder filled with water that Suz picked up from the store for me along with a packet of G2.

While I was packing my Camelbak, Sharon was pinning (and repinning…) her race bib number.

Sharon pinning on her bib number

Sharon pinning on her bib number

Eventually, the only thing left for me to do was take my traditional night before the race picture with my bib number.  I could hardly believe that in just a few short hours all of my hard work and training for the Nike Women’s Marathon would be over!

Woo Hoo!

Woo Hoo!

3 Comments leave one →
  1. October 23, 2009 12:54 am

    You had quite the whirlwind tour. You’ve been to a bunch of places I’ve never been!

    • October 25, 2009 11:07 pm

      It was so much fun! You should play tourist one weekend and check all of the places out – especially the Ferry Building!


  1. All about food! « From 5k to Marathon

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: