Skip to content

A run for the pies and a turkey dinner

November 29, 2009

Since I started running last December I’d wanted to participate in some kind of run Thanksgiving morning.  I talked to Amy about it and she found a four mile run in Tequesta called the Run for the Pies put on by the Palm Beach Road Runners.  Carl and I met Amy at her house at 7am and Keith showed up a few minutes later.  We all climbed into Amy’s car and off to the race we went!

Because we missed the registration online we had to register the day of the race, which I’ve never done before and hope to never do again.  I’m not sure that I’d say that the race was completely unorganized, but having to find the registration table was a bit more difficult than I’d expected and it just felt way too rushed to get everything filled out and pinned on and then get in line – not to mention that the line for the porta-potties was out of control! Keith didn’t want to do the run so he held our t-shirts and snapped this picture.

Me, Carl and Amy before the start

Once we got in line I realized that there was no way I’d be able to hold it through the whole race so I crossed my fingers that I’d be able to start on time and waited in line.  Thankfully I managed to find a short line for the porta-potties near the start and managed to find Carl and Amy and a few minutes later the gun went off – we surged forward and then stopped, walking across the starting line.

I was a little nervous about the run because it’s the farthest I’ve gone since the Nike Women’s Marathon and my pre-stress fracture.  Since I have a tendency to start out too fast and get slower as the miles go I tried to pace myself and didn’t let it bother me when Carl caught up and passed me.  A little bit before the first mile I passed him, but by the second mile I slowed down and both Carl and Amy caught up to me so we walked and chatted for a little bit.  This was the farthest distance race both Carl and Amy had ever done and I was so proud of them!  Sure it wasn’t a speedy race, but I was proud of all of us for getting up early on Thanksgiving morning to do some kind of exercise.  The walk helped re-energize me and from mile 2.5 to mile 3 went by quickly.  Once I hit mile three I told myself that I only had one more mile left and I could do it – just run it hard and cross the finish line strong – and I felt like I did, especially since it was my first race post-injury.

Race stats:
Distance – 4 miles
Time – 51:58 minutes
Pace – 13’/mi

After the race we celebrated by having breakfast at Cracker Barrel – which totally negated any calories that we burned off during the run – haha!

Amy and Keith

Carl enjoying his coffee

I decided to go for sweet instead of salty and decided on blueberry pancakes.  I managed to eat two of them and gave the third from my plate to Carl.

After we finished breakfast Amy dropped us off at her house to get our cars and we headed down to take showers and visit with Carl’s grandma before making the short, five minute drive to his Aunt Joie’s house.  When we got there I was feeling a little shaky so I had some water and snacked on the veggies, cheese and crackers that were out.

Eventually the turkey was finished and Carl’s dad carved it up.

I swear that home builders really need to make kitchens the largest part of the house because everyone always ends up in them!  It’s certainly one of my favorite rooms in a house and when Carl and I eventually move out of our townhouse I’m totally going to keep my fingers crossed for a giant kitchen!

Dinner was FANTASTIC!  I really focused on not eating too much and sampling a little bit of everything because I didn’t want to feel stuffed.  I was tired enough as it was and didn’t need the food coma to set in!  On my plate I had copper carrots, dressing, yams, turkey, a roll, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes with gravy and green bean casserole.  Yum!

Shortly after we ate Aunt Joie brought out dessert – cookies, pumpkin cheesecake (made by Carl’s mom), pumpkin pie and a chocolate cake.

My plate – two cookies (and a bunch more unpictured!), a small slice of pumpkin cheesecake, and a scoop of ice cream.

When we left around 6pm I was so ready for bed!  I think getting up at 5:30am was a bit early for Thanksgiving so I’m not sure that I’ll do another run without being able to take a significant nap to gear up for the long day of eating and visiting. Sounds silly, but we were all totally dragging!

Once Carl and I got back to my mom’s house we talked with her for a little while and then headed off to sleep before 9pm!

3 Comments leave one →
  1. November 29, 2009 11:31 pm

    Ha, the only race I’ve done put on by the Palm Beach Road Runners was last year’s Shamrock 10-miler. I have to say that I was quite surprised at the organization. Despite it being the 33rd Annual Shamrock 10-miler, I felt as though it must be the first. I went to the starting line and had trouble finding it because they were still setting it up, there were huge lines at the packet and shirt tables, and the race even started about 25 minutes late.

  2. November 29, 2009 11:47 pm

    I agree. It was the 9th annual Run for the Pies but you’d never know because of the lack of organization that they had. I just figured that it was because we were running a little late and had to register before the race started.

    It did appear that the bags for the people who pre-registered were pretty nice, though.


  1. One year « From 5k to Marathon

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: