Skip to content


June 19, 2010

While he is doing fine now, Bradley (our dog) had a seizure Sunday 6.13.10 around 6:30pm. I was sitting on the chair reading blogs when I noticed Bradley doing this weird prancy dance in front of me, as though we’d put tape on the bottom of his paws. I knew immediately that something wasn’t right and called Carl, who was in the kitchen making dinner, to come and take a look at him. From what we’ve read on-line and heard from the doctors that we’ve taken him too it wasn’t as bad “looking” as it could have been (many dogs can gnash their teeth or loose body functions during a seizure). Shortly after Bradley looked okay so Carl took him out for a walk, thinking that maybe he’d just been a little dehydrated or needed to go to the bathroom or something but when he came back inside he looked very dizzy, disoriented and couldn’t stand up without leaning on something. I called the emergency vet, a few minutes later we were out the door and 20 minutes later we were ringing the doorbell at the Animal ER.

Luckily there wasn’t anyone in the waiting room and Bradley was taken back to see the vet right away. Shortly after he went back, Carl and I were escorted to an examination room to wait…and wait…and wait. I think we only waited for 20 minutes, but it felt like the longest 20 minutes of my life. I had a million questions going through my head; “Was he okay?”, “Did he have another seizure?”, “Was he still alive?”, “Would he have to stay the night there?”, “How much is this going to cost?”. Eventually a nurse brought him into our room, holding up two leashes. Apparently Bradley had eaten through his own leash and the one that they gave him from their office! He has been known to do this when he’s anxious and it became the joke of the evening, which was actually a nice way to relieve some stress.

A few minutes later the doctor came in and told us that he did have a seizure and would need to stay the night for observation. It was possible that because he’d had one that he’d be more likely to have another one because his brain had been “activated”, so to speak. We said our tear-filled good-byes and left him until we’d pick him up the next morning. I was so thankful that school was already out for me (Carl had a workday but was able to work from home) because it would have been very difficult to call in so close to the end of the school year, even though it was an emergency. When we picked him up the following morning the report was good, Bradley hadn’t had another seizure, had eaten through two more leashes (haha!) and would need to be referred to our main vet for further testing and observation. Sigh. We called our vet on the way home (it was only 7:30 am) and there wasn’t an available appointment until 9:00 am so we decided to go home and make some breakfast while we waited. Poor Bradley still had the catheter in his leg, since he’d been sedated and would be again at our vet. He didn’t like it much so we had to distract him a bit, but he was very tough looking with his blue camo wrapping 🙂


Givin’ my baby some hugs


We took him to our vet, who was incredibly helpful and sympathetic. We decided to go ahead and do some further testing since two things in his blood test seemed to be higher than she would have liked and could have led to the seizures – heart problems or liver problems. Sigh. We hugged him goodbye and headed back home. This was especially difficult for me since I had to leave for a conference in Atlanta that afternoon. I knew that Bradley would be in amazing hands once he was home but it was very difficult to leave without knowing if he would be alright or if he would have another seizure.

Long story short (although that was really long!) everything came back fine with the tests that our vet ran. No issues with his heart or liver although there was some blood in his urine so she prescribed him an antibiotic for a possible UTI and we’ll go back next week for another urine test. Bradley hasn’t had another seizure (that we’ve seen or can guess) so for now there is no known cause of them. He’s back to his normal playful self, just like he was shortly after the first seizure that he had on Sunday, which is really good.


Do you have any pets? What are their names?

6 Comments leave one →
  1. June 20, 2010 5:59 pm

    Danielle- I’m so sorry y’all went through that scary time with Bradley! I’m also so thankful to hear that he’s doing fine now. He’s so cute! I don’t have any pets right now. Billy and I travel too much but I think we’ll get a dog later on. I used to have the cutest Papillon named Lexie. She was a handful. 🙂

    • June 20, 2010 8:56 pm

      Thank you Dorry. It was really scary because Bradley is like our little one. While we were in the waiting room it felt so long and I can’t even imagine how it would have felt if we’d been waiting on an actual child instead of our furbaby.

      I love Papillons! They have the cutest ears 🙂

  2. June 20, 2010 8:44 pm

    I hope Bradley is going to be okay. My doggies are like my kids! I lost my dog this past January and it was really hard…his name was Fritz (mini schnauzer). Now I have three dogs…Ranger (lab), Finn (Mini Schnauzer), and Darcy (labradoodle)! Guess you can tell that I like dogs! I also liked reading about your ATL trip…I used to live there for the first two years out of college and it was a LOT of FUN! Oh to be young again!! 🙂

    • June 20, 2010 8:59 pm

      Thank you Caroline. Bradley is like our kid too! I’m sorry that you lost Fritz. I am not looking forward to that day with Bradley – I’ve never had a pet this long before (I’ve had him 9 years, since he was 1) and know that it will be incredibly difficult.

      Amy, one of the co-workers that we went with, also lived in the area several years ago. She was the one who kept us from getting lost and suggested the awesome restaurants that we ate at. What an awesome place to live!

  3. June 20, 2010 10:15 pm

    Poor Bradley and poor y’all! Bless his furry little heart, I’m sure y’all were so frightened and worried. Glad he’s feeling better!

  4. June 21, 2010 5:53 pm

    So scary! I hope he’s doing okay…I’ll have to read on. (BTW, I discovered the “next” buttons at the bottom of the page 🙂 )

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: